Hi all, in this post, I will talk about how to increase your energy simply by rebalancing or re-synchronize your circadian rhythm.
What is your circadian rhythm?
It is known as a natural body rhythm that takes about 24-h, where the light-dark cycles synchronize biological functions with the body and mind. The circadian system coordinates physiology and behaviors in such a way that the body acts like a finely harmonized clock.
The clock induces sleep and other related cell body restoring/repairing functions at night when synchronized, such as immune function and hormone release or wakefulness. It is also associated with catabolic functions throughout the day for example digestion and production of energy (ATP).
The disruption of this cycle can induce chronic illness and diseases. Has been found from many scientific studies that it can be the cause of heart attacks, diabetes, and autoimmune conditions.
One of the main hormones that dictate the balance of this system/clock is cortisol also called the stress hormone. It is released throughout the day and is crucial for many cell activities.
Cortisol has its highest pick as soon you wake up, at the end of your sleep cycle. Nature decides to release this natural energy in your body averagely between 5:00 and 7:00 am and the lowest point is around 4:00 am.
During these 2 hours (5-7) , a rise in heart rate (HR) and blood pressure (BP) takes place automatically.
A way to release and express this energy from the (inside) body to the (outside) environment is by physical activities.
For good physical and mental well-being, circadian coordination is essential, and disturbance of circadian activity (repression of this energy) is correlated with various downstream negative physiological, psychological, and clinical implications.
The natural solution
This is the basis of a health routine: balance your sleep cycle and circadian rhythm in these 2 ways :
- STEP 1 By going to sleep ideally before 10:30 pm and waking up before 7:00 am.
- STEP 2 By exercising for at least 10-15 minutes as soon you wake up.
- FAT LOSS : Since cortisol is directly correlated with insulin resistance you start to rebalance also your fat hormone production.
- FOCUS : Increasing oxygen intake during physical exercises you will give food for your brain to be used.
- MOOD : Seratonin is the happy mood hormone released naturally during physical exercise. You will feel more relaxed and happy.
I know how difficult is to install new behaviors so I advise you to start with small steps and make this process easy.
I used this method too when I wanted to wake up every day at 5:00 am (following the 5 am club from Robin Sharma)
- Start by setting your alarm 30 or 15 minutes before your actual alarm time. Every week lower it until you reach your ideal time.
- Avoid screen times before 1h going to sleep. Ideally no screen time after 9:30. Your melatonin production will increase as soon is dark facilitating the start of your sleep cycle.
- Take a short warm shower before going to sleep
- Use cold water/cold shower to refresh your face /body as soon as you wake up in the morning. In this way, you stimulate your sympathetic nervous system to release cortisol (so energy)
I hope this content was useful and I’ll see you in the next post.